Located 8 miles (13 km) southeast of Evansville and just upriver of the confluence of the Green and Ohio rivers, it is administered by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Division of Indiana State Museums and Historic Sites as one of 16 state museums and historic sites. In 1964 this major complex of earthworks was designated a National Historic Landmark because of its significance. It is named after the Angel family who in the early 19th century owned the property on which it is located.
For thousands of years, southwestern Indiana was home to successive cultures of Native Americans, who settled near the rivers and used them for travel and trade.
Beginning after 1000 CE, people of the widespread Mississippian culture built a town at this site, covering 100 acres (0.40 km2) and situated on a large, terraced mound near the river. Today, Angel Mounds State Historic Site is nationally recognized as one of the best-preserved prehistoric Native American sites in the United States. It was given National Historic Landmark status as part of this recognition. This site is the most northeastern of the Mississippian culture, which had sites throughout the river valleys of the Mississippi and its tributaries, such as the Ohio River. Continuing excavations at the site reveal new elements of the complex society.
Angel Mounds State Historic Site, 8215 Pollack Avenue, Evansville, IN 47715, USA
Latitude = 37.947318
Longitude = -87.45162900000003