THE SERPENT MOUND
The Serpent Mound was first described by Squier and Davis in “Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley” 1848.
Saved from destruction in 1885 by Frederic Ward Putnam, Professor of American Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University.
The land included in the park was secured by subscription obtained by Ladies of Boston in 1887, when it was deeded to the trustees of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University, Cambridge Mass. Exempted from taxation by the Act of Legislature of Ohio in 1888.
Transferred by Harvard University May 1900, to Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society for Perpetual Care.
The Serpent Mound Memorial is located on State Route 73 near Locust Grove, Adams County, Ohio.
Serpent Mound, 3850 Ohio 73, Peebles, OH 45660, USA
Latitude = 39.0226179
Longitude = -83.4319782