The original building was demolished in 1916, but the lot was purchased and the house rebuilt in 1919 by the Women’s Roosevelt Memorial Association, which eventually merged with the Roosevelt Memorial Association in 1953 to form the Theodore Roosevelt Association. Noted female American architect Theodate Pope Riddle was given the task of reconstructing a replica of the house, as well as designing the museum (located next door) that serves to complete the site. The row house next door at No. 26, which was a twin to the Roosevelts’, was used as a model, and some architectural elements from it were incorporated into the replica. The twin house was then demolished to make space for the museum. The restoration recreates the house as it stood in 1865.
The house was rededicated in 1923 and was subsequently refurbished with many furnishings from the original house by the President’s widow, Edith, and his two sisters. The widow and sisters also supplied information about the interior’s appearance during Roosevelt’s residency. It now serves as a museum dedicated to the life and contributions of the 26th President of the United States. There is no entrance fee to the house or the museum.
Theodore Roosevelt’s Birthplace – National Historic Site, 28 East 20th Street (between Broadway and Park Avenue, in Manhattan), New York City, NY, USA
Latitude = 40.739018
Longitude = -73.98882300000002